Trauma Counseling & Therapy Edmond – Oklahoma City OK
If you are reading this then something tragic has happened in your life or the life of someone you love. If you have experienced a trauma in OKC or anywhere then you will need help. You have likely suffered and felt alone and isolated in so many ways, sure that nobody can relate to what you have been through. Trauma can leave you feeling powerless and wondering how you could ever regain a sense of safety and control again. There is no doubt you were robbed, as something very dear was taken away against your will. You may even be feeling like the trauma you suffered was your fault.
You are Not Alone in Your Trauma
As you read this, it may be that you are feeling alone and wondering if we can really help. You may be experiencing a sense of shame and a strong need to remain silent. Or maybe you feel so ashamed that you question if you even deserve help. The trauma you experienced may be taking over your life. This shame is so powerful it can deceive you into suffering in silence for the rest of your life…if you let it. But that’s not what you’re going to do. No way! We know you are here because you want help, and we have GREAT news. We can help you! Whether you experienced trauma in OKC or anywhere else we are here for you.
We Can Help with Trauma in OKC or Anywhere!
We start by affirming that you are not alone in your trauma. Research indicates that approximately 70 percent of Americans have experienced at least one traumatic event in their lifetime. Trauma can range from mild to severe and have a multitude of negative effects on our lives. Psychological trauma can originate from childhood abuse, unhealthy relationships, bullying, car accidents, sexual abuse, witnessing scary events or thousands of other experiences that we may encounter throughout our lives. If left unresolved, trauma can lead to shame, anxiety, or depression. You might be wondering if you will ever be able to love, trust, and be happy again. How can you move forward in a relationship when something like intimacy is a trigger that spirals you into an anxiety attack?
“Anything that’s human is mentionable, and anything that is mentionable can be more manageable. When we can talk about our feelings, they become less overwhelming, less upsetting, and less scary. The people we trust with that important talk can help us know that we are not alone.”
― Fred Rogers
Having the courage to begin therapy is the first step towards a better tomorrow. Therapy is one of the most powerful remedies for healing the negative effects of trauma. Sharing your story within the safety of the counseling office with your trusted therapist is a big move towards freedom. Our trauma-informed therapists have a gift for validating your feelings and guiding you through the healing process. No one but God can take away the pain but we are committed to walking with you through it until we get to the other side.
At New Vision Counseling we have therapists who specialize in treating trauma. We use cutting-edge techniques such as EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitization & Reprocessing Therapy) Behavior Therapy (ex. Exposure therapy) and CBT (Cognitive Behavioral Therapy) to resolve past or recent trauma and set you free to live in the present moment. Our clinicians are trauma-informed and client-centered in their practice. We use unconditional positive regard to foster a judgment-free, caring environment where it is truly safe to share your story and everything you are feeling.
Trauma Therapies We Use in OKC
COGNITIVE BEHAVIORAL THERAPY
Our trauma informed therapists use cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) to help you identify and correct thoughts that are incorrect and not based on facts or reality. Some of the techniques used in CBT are
- Identify your triggers and unhelpful patterns of thinking and then helping you create new patterns that move you towards your goals
- Helping you see and develop healthy reactions to your daily events
- Educating you on specific relaxation and breathing techniques to help you stay in the moment in healthy and productive ways.
EYE MOVEMENT DESENSITIZATION AND REPROCESSING (EMDR)
- Our therapists who use EMDR for Trauma in OKC have received highly specialized training from organizations such as the EMDR International Association or the EMDR Institute just to name a few. For many EMDR sessions you will walk through 8 phases of treatment for trauma in our OKC offices.
- This treatment typically involves identifying a key traumatic experience that could have created the trauma or something close to it. Then you will mentally focus on the trauma or negative thought while moving your eyes from side to side. You do this through tracking a light or the therapist’s finger. Your therapist may also use hand tappers that gently vibrate in your hands. They could also use audio methods with headphones.
- All three methods are highly effective in helping you reprocess the trauma in a safe and caring environment with your therapist. And now that you have released the traumatic part that was stuck you can begin rewiring in the positives you want for your future life.
- This treatment has been proven to be highly effective in alleviating and eliminating trauma symptoms and all kinds of other issues that are causing you pain. Some of our clients have even used the term “magical” in the level of freedom they have experienced from this technique.
- This is a type of CBT that specifically focuses on helping you face your fears in safe ways
- It is well researched and remarkably successful with OCD, anxiety, PTSD and related issues and traumas.
- Through writing, guided imagery, and facing real life fears in safe ways you can be set free from gripping fear and past trauma.
- We have seen miraculous results from exposure therapy and successes are others successes are well researched and documented.
We are Here for You!
We would love to help you break the chains of a traumatic past! We know that healing trauma in OKC or anywhere else requires tremendous courage and tenacity. We also know how hard it can be to take the next step. That’s why all we ask is that you reach out to us today so that together we can begin your journey to healing and freedom. Click the button to contact us and schedule your first session. It’s time to let go and move forward, and New Vision Counseling is here to show you the way.
I have personally walked through christian counseling for a handful of traumatic events that have occurred in my life. At the time, I didn’t have the tools to communicate what my needs were and I tried to hide everything I was feeling. I walked around pretending everything with fine when in reality I felt like my world was getting smaller and darker and I had no idea how to cope with all the shame, guilt, and anger I was actually feeling. Especially as a christian, I found it to be really hard to admit what I went through and that I needed help getting through it. However, as soon as I did, I found an amazing therapist who actually understood me, listened to me, cried with me, and fought with me. It is so important to find somebody that is trustworthy when opening up about any kind of trauma. This is why one of our therapists are the perfect person to seek help from.
I want you to know you are so worthy of the help that you need. No trauma is too big or too small to need the help of a counselor. You are worth claiming your life back and really living to your fullest potential. Life can be beautiful after trauma. I promise! Remember how the cross was supposed to be the end of Christ? And now Christianity has risen from the worst trauma in history. My life is living proof of that and yours can be too! I have invested the time and effort into cultivating a life where I am emotionally, mentally, and spiritually moving towards my best and most Godly self. Some days are still hard but now I have the tools that are necessary to cope with the pain or stress in those difficult moments. I could not have imagined my life where it is now before counseling. Trauma counseling has truly changed my life for the better. EMDR for trauma, CBT for trauma and Exposure therapy for trauma along with other techniques and an amazing therapist can change your life too.
Still not Sure We can Help You through Trauma?
As therapists, we understand that trauma is not only experienced physically, but mentally and emotionally as well. Additionally, psychological trauma can be hidden from the world’s eye, leaving you alone to experience its terrible effects. We want you to know that you are not alone in this. At New Vision Counseling, we want to walk along-side you and help you break free from the chains of trauma and psychological abuse that you’ve experienced. We’ll guide you through the many stages of abuse.
We’ll come alongside you in despair you may be feeling now, and educate you on why psychological abuse makes you feel this way and how it is used. Through this we hope to awaken you to start living in truth and then empower you with the tools to heal and safeguard yourself from this experience happening again. Along with EMDR for trauma, One of these tools is learning how to set good boundaries, which we wish to teach you as well within your counseling journey. We have faith and belief that you can be restored from this difficult trauma and we will help you acquire the beautiful life that you have imagined could be yours. Proudly serving Oklahoma City, Edmond, Yukon, Mustang, as well as the Greater OKC Metro areas!